Saturday, January 19, 2013

Let's Do This

OK, blog is a go. Of course, now that I am actually writing it, I have no idea what to say. So, for starters... Here's a pic of me and Squid when she was 5 weeks old:


Yes, that is Patrick Stewart and LeVar Burton from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Her first big outing was to Wizard World Chicago. She was not terribly impressed. But, Patrick Stewart said she was one of the most beautiful babies he had ever seen. In that frickin' awesome accent. I swooned a bit. Yes, I am deliberately trying to raise a geek. I figure, if other parents can encourage their kids to play football or dance, I can encourage my kid to read comics and watch sci-fi. And if Squid chooses to play football or dance, I will encourage that as well. But, she's 18 months old and has few choices right now.

A little note on why we call her Squid. My daughter is adorable. She has these huge eyes that take in everything she sees. In fact, her eyes are the first thing people notice when they see her. Also, she put up a fight when she was born. She was, quite literally, ripped out of my body. She spent her first few minutes screaming bloody murder and fighting off the nursing staff that was trying to assess her. She didn't calm down until Daddy came over and held his new baby girl. This scene in Men in Black was the first thing I thought of when I got to hold her myself:




So, you all have some background. I hope to post pretty regularly here. My goal is to mix my own parenting experiences with product reviews and general updates on my fantastic kid. If you have any suggestions or feedback, feel free to share it. And please come back and remind me to update this thing!

I leave you with a picture of Squid and John Freaking Barrowman:

1 comment: